Dart 31162111 Cast Iron SHP High Performance Engine Block Chevy Small Block 400 Mains, 4.000 Bore, Ductile Caps
Excellent upgrade or stock replacement block. Street performance, Sportsman racing.
Designed for high performance and medium duty applications, the SHP (Special High Performance) block is the ideal starting point for hot rodders, drag racers, circle track competitors, off-roaders, and high performance marine enthusiasts.
Don’t waste your valuable time sourcing, cleaning, machining and prepping a 40 year old core when you can have a brand new precision machined block with all the most desirable features for just a few dollars more.
• Priority main oiling system.
• Siamese cylinder bores with extra thick walls.
• Extra thick decks ensure reliable head gasket seal.
• Blind head bolt holes don’t go through to water jacket.
• Scalloped water jacket walls improve flow around cylinders for better cooling.
• Clearance for 3.750” stroke with steel rods.
• Splayed outer bolts on middle main bearing caps.
• Uses + .300” tall stock 87-95 roller lifters.
• Provisions for OE stock roller lifters & cams.
• Uses 1981-1985 stock style oil pan & passenger side dipstick.
• Uses stock stamped steel or plastic timing cover.
• All OE bolt holes for starter, clutch ball, etc.
• Parts kit sold separately.
Material: Superior iron alloy
Bore: 4.000" (unfinished)
Bore/Stroke: 4.165" x 3.750" (max recommended)
Cam Bearing Bore ID: SBC 2.00"
Cam Bearings: Specially-coated & grooved with three oil holes
Cam Bearing OS: +.010", +.020", +.030"
Cam Bearing Press: .002"
Cam Journal OD: Standard SBC 1.869"
Cam Plug: 2-7/64" shallow cup
Cylinder Wall Thickness: .230" minimum @ 4.165" bore
Deck Height: 9.025"
Deck Thickness: .625" minimum
Fuel Pump: Mechanical pump provision
Fuel Pump Pushrod: Standard length
Freeze Plugs: Press-in cup plugs 1-5/8"
Lifter Bores: SBC .8430" to .8440"
Main Bearing Size: 2.8406 (400)
Main Bearing Bore: 2.6405 to 2.6415 (350)
Main Caps: Class 35 iron, 4 bolt, center 3
Main Cap Register: Deep stepped register on each side (no need for dowels)
Main Cap Press: .005"
Main Cap Bolts: #1, #5 - 7/16" (2); #2, #3, #4 - 7/16" 3/8" splayed (2)
Oil System: Wet sump, main priority oiling (can use dry sump)
Oil Pump Shaft: 350 main = stock shaft (.481" OD)
Oil Filter: Standard SBC filter (uses 2-bolt filter adapter)
Oil Pan: Standard SBC oil pan
Rear Main Seal: 350 main, standard seal, 2-piece
Serial Number: On main caps and left front
Starter: Standard SBC
Stud Hole/Head: Blind holes
Timing Chain/Gears: Standard SBC components
Timing Cover: Can use stock stamped steel or plastic
Torque: 65 ft/lbs (7/16" bolts), 35 ft/lbs (3/8" bolts)
Weight: 175 lbs
Note:The lifter bosses in SHP blocks are .220" taller than the bosses in early-style blocks that were not designed for hydraulic roller lifters. If you are installing aftermarket lifters with link bars in an SHP block, the lifters must be designed for use in 1987-up or Bow Tie blocks.